Wednesday 7 December 2011

My teenage dream comes true - Live with Bryan Adams !

Whoooaaaa...finally I get to write about the evening that was crazy !!! My teenage dreams comes true when I am only a few months away from turning 25. I have always wanted to see Bryan Adams perform live and so I did recently at the SECC in Glasgow (you should see the smile on my face just now- wide open).

If you are scratching your head and wondering who the heck is Bryan ???! (although this is rare), Bryan has spent the last 3 decades making music history and has sold over 75 million albums worldwide. Best known for some of his songs like, 'Everything I do , I do it for you' , 'Summer of '69', his acoustic tour to the UK was certainly one of those gigs not to be missed !

Only less than a week before his performance in Glasgow, I managed to get hold of standing tickets which meant, that I could stand as close to the stage as I could possibly manage. The evening on the day of the concert was breezy and cold here, but in-spite of the biting weather, I managed to wear my nice black dress for the concert (just in case Bryan catches my eyes :P).

Arriving, in what I thought, was plenty in advance for the concert - I was a little disappointed to see that a long snake like 'Q had already crept up along the floor leading to the concert hall. The crowd was mostly mixed I would say, certainly not the youngster crowd that one would find for boy bands and rock concerts !  Finding my way to the very back of the Q, I knew I am never going to be close enough to the stage to see Bryan. Apparently not ! Did manage to find a spot at the side of the stage if not towards the centre and I held on to a mic stand propped on the stage for keeping my sense of direction. I didnt want to move an inch from there although there were some party spoilers who came late and were trying to inch forward through the crowd.

The lights were on and the concert hall was slowly becoming full. A big screen right in front of us on the stage was flashing some tweets posted about his concert in other places in the UK. Wanting to find myself on the big screen, I signed up on twitter as I have never used it before and dont intend to- I tweeted my very first tweet to Bryan to shout out loud how I excited I was to be there and believe that my teenage dream was so close to coming true ! Only a few minutes later, I realized the tweets were not live feed from the web, there were chosen before and were running in a loop on the screen. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, exasperated a wee bit ........ I supposed that I would be on another big screen in another big city in the UK before his performance.

Clock ticking and I could feel the concert hall was almost full as it was getting warmer and noisier and the show time was 7.30pm. But 30minutes later, no signs of Bryan yet. I imagined there would be some side kicks performing before the main event- but there was none of those either. And there, like a lightning bolt (!), a few minutes past 8pm, the crowd screamed as the man came sprinting towards the mic and started off with 'Housearrest' from 'Waking up the neighbours'.  What a fantastic opener and it got the crowd going on high spirits !

His next few songs from the setlist for the concert was Somebody, Here I am, All I want is you...and the crowd clapping provided drums for some of the songs. I, for one, was hopping non-stop with sheer excitement. I know Bryan sounds fantastic on CDs, but trust me when I say this, the guy sounds amazing in person !!!!

Later down the road came Summer of '69. This song certainly turned the crowd wild and I think it never fails to. I could feel the energy in the room and it sounded fantastic on the big speakers!

And whats more, Bryan had a good sense of humor too, like when he said, ''It is great to be in Glasgow, but- hey! at my age (which is 52), it is great to be anywhere!''. The concert hall was lit with laser lights and the whole set changed for every song he sung and the setting was superb. Some more rocking songs followed like, 18 Till I Die, Back to you, Depend on me, The only thing that looks good on me is you...

Whilst still hopping to the beats in high spirit, I must say that the stage was set on fire along with Keith Scott (lead guitarist) and bloody hell (sorry for the swear word-but...) I have no clue how he manages to play guitar like that !! Those were some jaw dropping moments. There was also a medley performance on stage and I later found out the name of the song- Is your mama gonna miss ya. For this, Mickey Curry played drums on pots & pans and plastic bucket and Norm Fisher joined in playing bass on another bucket. Keith and Bryan chimed in at various points and you could see it on their faces- what a whale of a time they were having !

Cuts like a knife was a classic song and I loved the part where the crowd says 'na na na.......' (if only the fun didnt have to end).

Next came the exciting bit where he picks out a girl from the audience for a duet. My hand went up in the air before I realized it- but I got the jitters after he said he is looking for someone who knows the full song by heart. Crushed at this point for I only knew the chorus well, a bright looking lassie was the lucky one to get on to the stage and duet with the legend. I was certainly not a happy bunny but it soon changed for what was to come.....

The last but one song was 'The way you make me feel' and I went completely nuts for this one! The lighting was pure divine and his soulful voice resonated throughout the hall. I was in bliss. And he ended it with 'Straight from the heart' and my oh my, what a fabulous night I have had listening to my teenage fantasy !

....Sore feet after a long concert, but my heart was full of music & spirit- way to go Bryan Adams !!!!!



Watch out this space for more pictures and videos...the videos esp have come out very well in HD :)

























No comments: